Saturday 30 August 2008

Testing Water Fuel

Thanks to my workshop friend, Ah Wah, who let me installed the water fuel in my Spectra for testing without charge. The followings are observations and analysis.

Test conditions:

Car spec: Kia Spectra 1600 cc, automatic transmission, year 2002 imported model.

Normal fuel consumption: 380 km for each RM100 filling (RM2.70 per litter), or RM0.26 per km.

Driving routes: 27 km per journey or 54 km per day, village roads, 19 traffic lights, rush hours.

Weather conditions: mostly dry, a few days raining.

Hy-Gen32 water fuel tank installed. Current drawn unknown but was told between 5 to 6 Amperes. Oxygen sensor position was adjusted.

Observations:

First impression, initial start up performance improved, car was more responsive. Performance throughout the journey was satisfactory, in fact I enjoyed the performance. Driving speed were mostly less than 90 km/h.

Occasionally driving on high way, where the speed increased to 110 km/h. No noticeable improved in performance. In fact I felt like as the water fuel was not installed.

At the fuel price of RM2.70 per little, I managed to travel 480 km before the refilling of RM104.

Analysis:

Fuel consumption: RM104 / 480 km = RM0.22 per km.

Compared to my normal consumption, I saved RM0.04 per km.

Hence per month I saved about RM50 on the fuel.

Less performance improvement on the high way is expected, since the hydrogen is produced at the constant rate, the hydrogen-fuel ratio is less than when driving on the high way where the fuel demand is high.

Conclusion:

The water fuel costs RM800 (price offered by Ah Wah), it takes 16 months to get your money back. Besides, you have to drive in the city to enjoy the fuel-saving benefits.

As this is considered as new technology, I do not have any figures of the life of this product, nor other statistics such as MTBF, MTTF, etc, sorry.

Since I only managed to test only on my Spectra, I have no comments on its performance when installed on other cars. However my feeling is that it would not save you much if your car is already a high fuel efficient type.

You decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment