Saturday 20 December 2008

Bravo! Linux.

Have been using Fedora Core 4 for a few years. Recently the company purchased a new HP A3 printer that require the upgrade of the printer driver. After searching the HP website for the printer driver, I found my familiar HPOJ driver was no longer actively supported. Instead I have to get the latest HPLIB driver.

Oh, well. That's OK so far. I went on to download the driver and installed it. Opps,  a bunch of error messages popped up, showing incompatibility with Fedora Core 4. Annoyingly, I tried to update the associate files without success, the chain-files involved were enormous.

Finally I decided to upgrade from Core 4 to Core 5. First of all, read the manual! I did a search on the Fedora Core upgrade... hey! Fedora 10 is now on the way to release, and I am still using the old ancient version! See what Core 10 is all about here.

After much of the searching, a website gave a good guideline on upgrading different Fedora versions. Check this site if you are interested.

Looks simple but... no free lunch! Following the instruction gave me yet another series of compatibility issues. I had to carefully remove the incompatible programs before I can successfully proceed to upgrade the system.

Ding dong ding dong... finally... holly smoke! The package size is 1.7GB. With our current snail speed connection, it took me 3 days to get all files downloaded successfully.

(At press time, I just came across the news about three major fiber optic cables interconnecting Asia and Europe were cut in Mediterranean, causing disruption to the Internet and phone. Bad luck!).

The installation process was rather straight forward. Everything has been taken care of. What I needed to do was sit back and relax, watching the progress bar rolling... and the moment of truth came, bingo! It was upgraded to Fedora Core 5.

I am yet to upgrade from Core 5 to Core 6, then Core 6 to Core 7, then Core 7 to Core 8... I think I am going to stop at Core 8, as I think Core 9 and Core 10 require substantial hardware resource to deliver good performance. My old junk wouldn't be able to cope with it.

Upgrading through the network.. this is something you cannot do with Windows. Linux bravo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment